Saturday 6 August 2011

Saturday Scone Making

I have had an extremely busy week this week, juggling looking after the children with getting myself sorted for yesterdays photo shoot for my new products (more about once I have received some of the lovely images!).

Today I was feeling quite lazy, staying in my pyjamas until after 10am (the children didn't get dressed until just before lunch!), allowing the children to sit in front of the TV whilst I indulged myself in a  book and then a bath!

This afternoon, we got down to business...


...and made scones. 

  I had been planning to make scones for our lovely neighbours (who very kindly keep an eye on our house when we are away) since we came back from our holiday.  I thought that this would be a good choice as one of them has diabetes, and didn't want to make something they couldn't eat. Unfortunately I had made an abundance of cakes the week we came back, and I couldn't stomach any more baking!  Today I overcame it and we got out our pinnies (me and the children that is!), and were able to indulge in scones with jam and cream, whilst our neighbours were delighted to receive theirs with strawberries and clotted cream.

We made fruit scones, here is the basic recipe, with variations below.

Scones - makes 8

225g (8oz) self raising flour                                                   
pinch of salt                                                                            
5ml (1tsp) baking powder                                                      
40g (1 1/2 oz) butter
approx. 150ml (1/4 pt) warm milk*
milk to glaze

1.  Set over to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
2.  Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl, and then gently rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine bread crumbs.  Stir in enough milk to form a dough.
3.  Roll on a lightly floured work surface until approx. 2cm (3/4 inch) thick, and cut into rounds with a 6cm (2 1/2 inch) circular cutter.
4.  Place on a greased baking tray, brush with a little milk, and bake in the over for around 10 mins until golden brown. 

Fruit Scones - simply add 50g (2oz) of sultanas, currants, dates, cherries or what ever you fancy before you add the milk.

Cheese Scones - stir in 50g (2oz) of finely grated cheddar before adding the milk, and then sprinkle a little on top after brushing with the milk.

* my mum read somewhere that using warm milk helps the scones to rise, making them  
   really light.  It works, and is worth doing!


The little Tinker brushing on the milk glaze. 
It's always difficult cooking with both of them.  There seems to be tussles
over every job that needs doing.  Although the Fairy is bigger,
the little Tinker is very determined!!!

Freshly bake scones crying out for jam and cream!
Both the children, and the kitchen were covered in flour by the end, I'm just pleased I can throw our pinnies in the wash with the rest of the laundry!

I thought you may like to see my granny Kitty's recipe for scones, taken from a hand written recipe book she had compiled (more to come at a later date!)


So, how about a Sunday scone making day?  Pop on your pinny, or pop over to my shop if you haven't got one, and get baking!

You can find more delicious recipes here.

2 comments:

Karen said...

hi! you're near Preston...so am I?? small world!

LOULA BELLE AT HOME said...

It is indeed a small world!!! Where are you?