Saturday 3 April 2010

I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow sing a rainbow too.....

Red and yellow and pink and blue, purple and orange and blue (and turquoise, and pale lemon, and white!!!) la la la la laaa laaa, la la laa laa, la la la la laaaa!!!!! Oh what joy I have had making my first ever patchwork. I saw this patchwork in a recent(ish) addition of Sew Hip, and just had to make it. I didn't really think that patchwork was up my street, but it has been a joy to complete. After ordering my beautiful fabric from the little lavender patch .....

.... I set about cutting my rectangular pieces using my trusty scissors and a tape measure!







Once cut, and I had worked out where they were going I sewed them together to form squares.







This was then laid out on the floor (you may have noticed that the images are quite dark. This is because it was a job that had to be done at night once little feet had retired along with numerous toys!) before piecing together the strips for sewing.





The squares were pieced together diagonally ready for stitching.








Once I had stitched my square together to form strips, I then stitched the strips together and trimmed to form a ... I was going to say square, but it is actually slightly shorter on one side.






This was the bit I wasn't really looking forward to. I quilted and backed my patchwork, put binding around the edge and ........







...... ta daaa. This is what I ended up with. Oh how pleased I am with myself. I love it, and for a first attempt, I think I have done myself proud. Hmmmm ... what will be my next personal project?

Let me know what you think and if you have any quilting hints or tips.







1 comment:

Marie said...

I know absolutely nothing about patchwork or quilting but these looks amazing! I know what you mean about having to wait until sticky little fingers are in bed!